Search This Blog

Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Giant Wrestling Calendar

Hi, my name is Eric and I'm a wrestling addict. It's been nearly eight months since I've attended a match.
There, I got that off of my chest.
And while I plan to rectify that soon enough - I'm scheduled to cover UPJ's first dual meet on Friday night - all this time away from the mats has given me plenty of time to plot out which matches I want to see this season. (By the way, I have a Mountain Cats season preview appearing in Friday's Tribune-Democrat. The truncated version of that will appear at www.tribdem.com. I'm also planning a preview of tomorrow's match with West Liberty right here. If you need more of a UPJ fix, check out their season preview or the look at Friday's dual. UPJ also will offer live coverage of the match, both in the form of stats and streaming video. You can find both here.)
But back to my original point: I've put together a list of matches that my newspaper could/should be covering or ones that I realistically could attend. (Not that my schedule or my wife will actually allow me to see all of these in person).
Most of it revolves around high school teams from The Tribune-Democrat's coverage area, which includes parts of District 5 and 6, but it features some college matches as well. UPJ home matches are included, as are select Pitt and Penn State duals. I even listed some big events like the Ironman tournament in Ohio, the Beast of the East event in Delaware and the Division I national tournament in St. Louis at the end of the season, though I probably won't be able to make any of those.
At any rate, it includes some of the bigger dual meets and tournaments in the Greater Johnstown area and can provide a quick reference guide to wrestling fans in the region. It's not set in stone by any means - I came up with it more than a month ago, basing it mostly on what matchups would have been interesting in the past few years. I haven't broken down lineups this season, so some of these might end up being blowouts while I've skipped some that could be must-see events. If you think I've missed something, feel free to let me know. Or, if you see any errors in dates, locations, etc., please tell me.
Without further ado ...


Fri., 11/18        West Liberty at UPJ, 7 p.m.
Sat., 11/19       Michigan at Pitt, 7 p.m.
Sun., 11/20      Minnesota at Penn State, noon
Fri., 12/2          Findlay at UPJ, 7 p.m.
Sun., 12/4        Penn State Open
Fri., 12/9          Conemaugh Township tournament at Davidsville
Sat., 12/10       Conemaugh Township tournament at Davidsville
Sun., 12/11      West Virginia at Penn State, 2 p.m.
Sun., 12/11      Walsh Ironman finals at Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio,
Tue., 12/13      Bedford at North Star
Thu., 12/15      Westmont Hilltop at Bedford
Fri., 12/16        Penn Cambria tournament at Cresson
Sat., 12/17       Penn Cambria tournament at Cresson
Sun. 12/18       Beast of East championships, 3:15 p.m.
Sun., 12/18      Lock Haven at Penn State, 2 p.m.
Tue., 12/20      Forest Hills at Westmont Hilltop
Thu., 12/22      Bedford at Chestnut Ridge
Wed., 12/28     Wilkes Open
Thu., 12/29      POWERade tournament at Canonsburg
Fri., 12/30        POWERade tournament at Canonsburg
Wed., 1/4         Berlin at Chestnut Ridge
Thu., 1/5          Meyersdale at Conemaugh Township
Fri., 1/6            Kutztown at UPJ, 7 p.m.
Sat., 1/7           Pitt Duals at Pitt (Columbia, Eastern Michigan, Princeton, VMI)
Wed., 1/11       Mercyhurst at UPJ, 7 p.m.
Fri., 1/13          Lock Haven at Pitt
Sat., 1/14         Escape the Rock finals at Council Rock South, Holland, Pa.
Tue., 1/17        Westmont Hilltop at Somerset
Thu., 1/19        Bedford at Somerset MOVED TO 1/25
Fri., 1/20          Richland Duals
Fri., 1/20          Super Region I Duals at UPJ, 6/8 p.m.
Sat., 1/21         Richland Duals
Sat., 1/21         Super Region I Duals at UPJ, 9/11 a.m., 1/3 p.m.
Sun., 1/22        Iowa at Penn State, 2 p.m.
Fri., 1/27          Thomas tournament at Bedford
Sat., 1/28          Thomas tournament at Bedford
Sun., 1/29        Ohio State at Penn State, 2 p.m.
Wed., 2/1         Gannon at UPJ, 7 p.m.
Thu., 2/2          District 5 duals
Sat., 2/4           District 5 duals
Sat., 2/4           District 6 duals (assumed)
Sun., 2/5          Michigan at Penn State, 2 p.m.
Thu., 2/9          PIAA team duals at Hershey
Fri., 2/10          PIAA team duals at Hershey
Sat., 2/11         PIAA team duals at Hershey
Sat., 2/11         Anderson at UPJ, 7 p.m.
Sat., 2/11         WestPAC Tournament at Meyersdale, 9 a.m. (NEW EDITION)
Fri. 2/17           District 6 Class AA tournament at Altoona
Sat. 2/18          District 6 Class AA tournament at Altoona
Sun., 2/19        Pitt at Penn State, 2 p.m.
Fri., 2/24          District 5 Class AA tournament at Windber
Fri. 2/24           District 6 Class AAA tournament at Altoona
Sat., 2/25         District 5 Class AA tournament at Windber
Sat. 2/25          District 6 Class AAA tournament at Altoona
Fri., 3/2            Southwest Regional Class AA tournament at Johnstown
Fri., 3/2            Northwest Regional Class AAA tournament at Altoona
Sat. 3/3            Southwest Regional Class AA tournament at Johnstown
Sat., 3/3           Northwest Regional Class AAA tournament at Altoona
Sun., 3/4          EWL Championships at Clarion
Thu., 3/8          PIAA Championships at Hershey
Fri., 3/9            PIAA Championships at Hershey
Sat., 3/10         PIAA Championships at Hershey
Thu., 3/15        NCAA Championships at St. Louis
Fri., 3/16          NCAA Championships at St. Louis
Sat., 3/17         NCAA Championships at St. Louis
Sun., 3/25        Dapper Dan Wrestling Classic at Pittsburgh, 4 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment