Search This Blog

Sunday, March 25, 2012

CORRECTED -- The best day in wrestling?

Note: Thanks to an alert reader who, knowing that math isn't my strong suit, let me know that there are 80 NCAA All-Americans, not 40 as I wrote. (I really can multiple 8x10 and come up with 80 in most cases. Not sure what I was thinking there.) I have corrected the post to show that.

It's one of my favorite times of the wrestling year.
Not the end of the high school season (that would be my wife Tami's favorite).
No, it's the Dapper Dan Wrestling Classic. If you've never been to "The Rose Bowl of Wrestling," you're really missing out on a fantastic event.
I preview the event - which includes a pair of local wrestlers this year in Richlnd's John Rizzo and North Star's Nick Roberts - in Sunday's editions of The Tribune-Democrat. The paper and e-editions (PDF versions of the actual pages) include complete lineups for the event along with the Intermat ranking for each wrestler.
Intermat's Josh Lowe also has a great preview of the event if you pay to receive the platinum content.
The great thing about the Classic is that it gives you a chance to see the NCAA champs of tomorrow today. For the past 36 years, at least one NCAA champion has participated in the event. That includes three from last weekend in St. Louis - Ohio State's Logan Stieber (133), Michigan's Kellen Russell (141) and Penn State's David Taylor (165).
Of the 80 All-Americans crowned at "Arch Matness," exactly one quarter (by my count) had wrestled in the Classic. If you've been to every Classic for the past five years, as I have, you'd have seen each of these All-Americans before they ever pulled on a college singlet.
Here's the list:


2012 All-Americans in the Classic
Ohio State's Cam Tessari (USA 2011) 4th at 149
Ohio State's Hunter Stieber (USA 2011) 6th at 141
Penn State's Andrew Alton (Pa. 2010) 3rd at 157
Ohio State's Logan Stieber (USA 2010) 1st at 133
Iowa's Bobby Telford (USA 2010) 5th at 285
Clarion's James Fleming (WPIAL 2009) 5th at 157
Oklahoma State's Chris Perry (USA 2009) 3rd at 174
Iowa's Tony Ramos (USA 2009) 3rd at 133
Penn State's David Taylor (USA 2009) 1st at 165
Stanford's Ryan Mango (USA 2009) 3rd at 125
Oklahoma State's Jordan Oliver (Pa. 2008) 2nd at 133
Harvard's Walter Peppelman (Pa. 2008) 8th at 157
Northwestern's Jason Welch (USA 2008) 4th at 157
Illinois' B.J. Futrell (USA 2008) 6th at 133
Penn State's Quentin Wright (Pa. 2008) 2nd at 184
Lehigh's Joe Kennedy (USA 2008) 8th at 197
Edinboro's Chris Honeycutt (Ohio 2007) 2nd at 197
Minnesota's Zach Sanders (USA 2007) 3rd at 125
Pitt's Tyler Nauman (Pa. 2007) 5th at 149
Michigan's Kellen Russell (USA 2007) 1st at 141


So head out to Pitt's Fitzgerald Field House this afternoon. (The preliminary match is at 4 p.m. with the main event at 6). If you're a wrestling fan (and I assume you are if you read my blog), then you won't regret it. We actually make a day of it, as my brother and I take our nephews to Dave and Buster's first for some lunch and games. It's a great day filled with the best wrestling in the country.
If you can't make it today but want to keep up with the action, follow me on Twitter, where I'll be posting updates.
I'll also be covering the event for The Tribune-Democrat, so look for a story and photo(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment