Search This Blog

Saturday, February 15, 2014

District 6 AA results and thoughts from Day 1

I wasn't able to make it to the first day of the District 6 AA tournament in Altoona, but I should be there today.
I'm not going to list all of the results, since you can find the brackets here. My guess is that those will not be updated until late Saturday night. But I will be typing in results throughout the day and updating them regularly on another blog post, assuming that the necessary technology cooperates.
Yesterday went almost completely according to seed. The biggest upset (by seeding) was at 132, where 10th-seeded Josh Gould of Forest Hills beat No. 2 Zach Stevens of Penn Cambria 10-3 in the quarterfinals. But I think most people saw that weight as one without a dominant top four, so it's hard to call it a major upset.
One result that did surprise me was at 145, where Marion Center's Isaac Stewart (No. 6) beat third-seeded Parker Bumbarger of West Branch 5-0. I knew that Stewart was a quality wrestler and thought that the sixth seed was low for him, but I didn't see him knocking off Bumbarger.
An even bigger surprise for me was Ligonier Valley's Raymond Marsh, the sixth seed at 220, beating United's Seth McLendon. I wouldn't have even considered that, but Marsh won 4-3 against the regional qualifier from last season.
It was a rough ending to the quarterfinal round for United, as heavyweight Andrew Deitman lost to Moshannon Valley's Jack Bunnell in one of the more intriguing matchups of Day 1. Bunnell was the fourth seed and Deitman the fifth, so it wasn't necessarily an upset, but with five quality heavyweights and only four spots advancing, it could play a key role in who gets to Johnstown.

No comments:

Post a Comment