Search This Blog

Thursday, February 26, 2015

All the info you need on the Southwest Regional tournament

I spent six hours today working on a predictions column on www.tribdem.com.
I tried to look at results for each of the wrestlers and balance that out with past performances by individuals and teams. I also took my personal experiences into account, so it probably skews more heavily toward the guys I saw on a regular basis. Oh, and after going pretty close to the seedings in the lower weights, I probably got a little too crazy in terms of upsets in the upper weights.
I didn't do projections for a team champion, but I did a little calculating for the blog and came up with the following:
  • Berlin Brothersvalley and Chestnut Ridge each have six state qualifiers according to my projections (that's when realized I might have leaned too heavily on guys that I saw in person).
  • Derry, Jefferson-Morgan, South Fayette and Westmont Hilltop each have four qualifiers.
  • Jefferson-Morgan led the way with three finalists.
  • Only one team had two champions and that team probably won't figure into the team race.
Mark Dugan of Off the Mat made picks which appear alongside mine in The Tribune-Democrat. Joe Tuscano of the (Washington) Observer-Reporter picks the top three finishers at each weight on his blog. Ryan Spring said on his blog that he will have picks in Friday's Bedford Gazette, and I assume that Todd Irwin will have picks in the Altoona Mirror.
 ---
One the line(s): In case you haven't seen the brackets yet (where have you been?) here's a link to them
  ---
Live updates and chat: I plan to do a live chat similar to what I did last week for the District 5 tournament on The Tribune-Democrat website for both days of the regional tournament. Even if  you can get the live results elsewhere, I'd appreciate it if you can stop by and say hi, as the hits on our website help others at the newspaper see how important the wrestling community is to our coverage.
---
The schedule: Here's the schedule that the media was given: 
Friday
  • 4: 15 p.m. Doors open to public
  • 5 p.m. Opening round on five mats
  • 7:30 p.m. Quarterfinals on three mats; consolations on two mats
Saturday
  • 9:15 a.m. Doors open to public
  • 10 a.m. Second-round consolations on five  mats
  • 11:30 a.m. Semifinals and third-round consolations on five mats
  • 1:30 p.m. Fourth-round consolations on five mats
  • 4:45 p.m. Parade of champions
  • 5 p.m. Consolation finals and finals on three mats
It doesn't say as much, but I'd assume that the gym will be emptied after the fourth-round consolations.
Ticket prices are $3 for students for first and second sessions and $4 for finals; adults are $4 for first and second sessions and $6 for finals. All-session passes are available, although there is no discount, so it's $10 for students and $20 for adults.

2 comments:

  1. Any radio stations covering regionals

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric..this is Trent,s g_ma...I couldn't get on the chat today..I even tried to subscribe and it still wouldn't let me on...not happy...sorry I missed it

    ReplyDelete