Search This Blog

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Friday recap 12/30

The Southmoreland Holiday Classic lived up to its name on Friday, with a classic finals matchup featuring two of the nation's best 120-pounders.
North Star's Nick Roberts, a two-time PIAA champion, was the second seed behind Kittanning's Jason Nolf, who won the 103-pound title last season and entered the match with a career record of 58-0.
Rather than describe the whole match here, you can read about it and watch the video of the entire match here.
I thought Roberts pushed the action, but Nolf is unconventional, to say the least, and did what he needed to do tie up the match. I was a little surprised that he wasn't warned for stalling with the side headlock, which seemed designed to choke out Roberts more than turn him, but he certainly was effective with it.
All in all, it was a great match between two great wrestlers and certainly lived up to the hype.
I also made a video featuring the four champions from The Tribune-Democrat's coverage area: Ligonier Valley's Justin Patrick (106 pounds), Meyersdale's Stephen McKenzie (132) and Forest Hills' R.J. Brydon (145) and Cody Law (160).
I expected to have complete results by now from Southmoreland, but I haven't received the email from the tournament director yet. I'll post them when I receive them.

I also haven't had a chance to even look at the POWERade results, as the videos took far longer to complete than expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment