Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Semifinal 12/27

I had some errors in my original post regarding Central Cambria's upcoming schedule. Thanks to a reader for pointing that out (I don't like making mistakes, but when I do, I appreciate being told about them so they can be corrected).

First Period
Stars and studs: Bedford. Just Bedford. In a week that didn't feature a ton of action, the Bisons stole the show with a 59-16 thumping at Chestnut Ridge. Coach Brian Creps team dominated the lightweights (and the middleweights) and took a commanding 41-4 lead in what many expected to be a close match. The question now becomes if, or when, will the Bisons be tested again? They're at Cambria Heights on Jan. 5 and home against Claysburg-Kimmel (which Chestnut Ridge routed) on Jan. 7. After what should be lopsided wins at Penn Cambria and Forest Hills, Bedford hosts Northern Bedford on Jan. 14. Richland and Greater Johnstown visit Bedford before the Bisons' two biggest challenges of the season - the Jan. 25 trip to Somerset and a Feb. 15 home meet with Greater Latrobe.


Second Period
On deck: A number of local teams are heading to holiday tournaments this week, including the Southmoreland tournament (Forest Hills, Ligonier Valley, Meyersdale, North Star), POWERade (Westmont Hilltop) and Boiling Springs (Bedford). There probably are some others out there that local teams will be attending, but those are the only ones I know about.
Somerset has a pair of dual meets scheduled - vs. Central Cambria on Tuesday and at Berlin Brothersvalley on Thursday.

Third Period
The holiday season has caught up to me in terms of what I've been able to post. I've been working on doing my own local rankings, but that's really time-consuming. I'm also hoping to do a preview of the Southmoreland tournament, which I plan on attending this week, but I'll have to wait and see on that.

5 comments:

  1. Todd,
    Central Cambria is not in the Southmoreland tournament.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are wrestling at Somerset tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We both must have been drinking too much eggnog this holiday season. You're correct, Central Cambria is not in the Southmoreland tournament - I had bad info on that. I'll update it with the link to the Southmoreland tournament page. And, yes, the Red Devils are at Somerset tonight.
    But, I'm Eric, not Todd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry,mixed you up with the paper down over the mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No problem. I was sure that's what it was.

    ReplyDelete